Superintendent's Update May 2, 2017
Post date: May 3, 2017 12:29:01 PM
Below please find an important message for parents regarding a recently released video series and some reminders of upcoming events.
- IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR PARENTS: Netflix recently released a series based upon a 2007 young adult books titled “Thirteen Reasons Why”. I have spoken to several parents and educators recently and understand that this video series is quite graphic and rated for mature audiences. It is also very popular with teens and even younger aged students. Attached is guidance from the National Association of School Psychologist to assist parents/guardians in making informed decisions regarding viewing and suggestions to support follow-up conversations. 13 Reasons Why Guidance_FINAL.pdf Should you have questions or concerns, please contact your school administrator or counselor.
- Have you registered for the Summer Fun Program? Application Packet FY17 - Summer Camp.pdf New offerings listed. Look for information in your child’s backpack this week!
- School Committee meets tomorrow, 7:00 p.m. at Town Hall. The meeting is televised and begins with the FY18 School Budget Public Hearing. 20 Meeting Notice -Agenda 5-3-2017.pdf Budget documents are available on the main page of our website. http://www.lunenburgschools.net/
- Annual Town Meeting is Saturday, May 6 at 9:00 a.m. Lunenburg Middle-High School Auditorium.
- Revised policy regarding unpaid school lunch. Revised 3701.01 Insufficient Funds 3-14-2017.pdf In this policy we attempt to address an increasing amount of debt due to unpaid lunches, while at the same time ensure that students are nourished either by bringing a lunch from home or having funds in hand or on account to purchase lunch at school. The unpaid lunch and other policies are on the agenda for action tomorrow evening. http://www.lunenburgschools.net/school-committee-1/policy-under-review Send questions or comments to: LPS@lunenburgonline.com
- In a separate email Mr. Londa will send detailed information regarding a necessary application of a broadleaf herbicide for the lawns around the new middle-high school building. The application is scheduled for next Monday if weather permits.
- Teacher Appreciation Week, May 8 – May 12. National Teachers’ Appreciation Day is Tuesday, May 9th and May 10th is National School Nurse Day. Please consider sending a note thanking them for their dedication and commitment to the students!
- Mark your calendars! LHS POPS Concert. Friday, May 12, 7:00 p.m. Lunenburg Middle-High School Auditorium. Performances by the concert band, the chorus, jazz ensemble and the LHS a capella group PULSE.
- National Food Drive Day is May 13th. The event is sponsored by the National Association of Letter Carriers. Donations stay local. Food Drive 5-13-17.pdf
Thank you for all you do to support our learners and teachers. Enjoy your evening.
Superintendent Loxi Jo Calmes
Lunenburg Public Schools
1025 Massachusetts Ave.
(978) 582-4100 x211
(978) 582-4103 fax