Superintendent's Update 6-22-15
Post date: Jun 22, 2015 7:40:35 PM
As the 2014-2015 school year concludes, I want to congratulate and commend the students for their work in and outside the classroom this year. I hope they will take a moment to reflect upon all they have accomplished, the friends they’ve made, and their contributions to their school and community. We are proud of them. I also want to express my thanks to the parents and guardians for supporting their child(ren) in a myriad of ways. Your support is critical to their learning. I extend my appreciation to the Lunenburg PTO, the various athletic booster groups, the Music Aiders, and other volunteers who assist us in our mission of developing lifelong learners and responsible community members. We are grateful for the many hours they devoted to working in classrooms, at games and events, and fundraising. Finally, I want to extend my gratitude to the faculty and staff of the Lunenburg Public Schools for their dedication and commitment to the students each day.
It has been another positive and productive year of teaching and learning. Best wishes for a safe, fun, and relaxing summer break. The Lunenburg Public Library’s Summer Reading Program starts July 6th. Attached are informational flyers about summer reading for children and teens. Enjoy the summer reading!
Transition Planning – Share your questions with us!
Detailed planning for the opening of the new co-located middle/high school and reconfigured district began in January and will continue this summer with building based transition teams. Teachers, staff, and administrators will be working during the summer and throughout the next school year to plan for the move and operation of each school in the reconfigured district. The new building for grades 6-8 and 9-12 will open in August, 2016. Students in grades 3-5 will attend school in the building that is currently Turkey Hill Middle School. Grades PK-2 will attend school at the Primary School. A Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document will be developed. Please send your questions related to the reconfiguration to Ms. Liz Petersen at email@example.com. We also are planning to hold at least two public forums next year to share information and answer questions.
A Playground for Grades 3-5!
I am pleased to announce that the Turkey Hill Family Lions Club will be our fundraising partner for a new playground for grades 3-5. A $25,000 donation from an anonymous donor has jump started the fundraising. We’ll share more information about fundraising efforts when school resumes in the fall. The Lunenburg PTO will also partner with us and organize the community build for the playground once purchased.
Budget and Personnel Update
The line item budget was approved by the School Committee on June 17, 2015 and has been posted at the website. Two additional teachers have been hired in response to high enrollment at 4th and 6th grades. The state budget is in conference committee and there may be additional funding for schools if the kindergarten grant is restored and/or special education funding increased. Hiring an additional BCBA is the next priority should funds become available. Following are some appointments and resignations.
- PRIMARY SCHOOL
- Elementary Guidance/School Psychologist– Samantha Dorsey. Ms. Dorsey is a graduate with a Master of Science Degree in Educational Psychology and Applied Behavior Analysis from Northeastern University where she recently also completed an advanced graduate study certificate. Her internship was completed in the Cambridge Public Schools.
- School Nurse - We extend our best wishes to Ms. Carrie Ford who is moving out of state. This position has not been filled at this time.
- TURKEY HILL MIDDLE SCHOOL
- Krista Diamantopoulos has been appointed to the grade seven math position. Ms. Diamantopoulos taught at Our Lady’s Academy in Waltham this past year.
- Amy Harrington has been appointed as a 4th grade teacher. Ms. Harrington holds a master’s degree from Allegheny College and previously taught in the 7th and 3rd grades in Lunenburg.
- LUNENBURG HIGH SCHOOL
- Virginia Huntoon has been appointed as a special education teacher. Ms. Huntoon holds a master’s degree from Fitchburg State University and taught in a substantially separate program at North Middlesex Regional.
- School Psychologist - Lori Shea holds her master’s degrees and has experience as both a school psychologist and school adjustment counselor.
- Network/Systems Administrator - Daniel Nadareski was the Network Administrator with the Middlesex District Attorney Office.
- Maintenance - Daniel Frazer is experienced in building maintenance.
Best wishes for a wonderful summer break with family and friends. We look forward to seeing the students on the first day of school for 2015-2016 on Monday, August 31, 2015.
Lunenburg Public Schools
1025 Mass. Ave.
Lunenburg, MA 01462
978-582-4100 X 210 (Office Phone)
This communication (including any attachments) is intended for the use of the intended recipient(s) only and may contain information that is confidential, privileged or legally protected. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by return e-mail message and delete all copies of the original communication. Thank you for your cooperation.